Evans - "Future is bright for Roms"
ROMULUS boss Richard Evans insisted the future was bright at the club as his side’s tumultuous Evostik League campaign came to an end last week.
The Roms survived a relegation battle after finding form hard to come by in the second half of the season, but the Coles Lane chief pointed to a high number of draws and a young squad for the club’s first ever bottom half finish in their history.
“We drew a lot of games that we should have won and lost some matches in injury time – we had a very, very young squad, and on reflection we need four or five experienced lads in over the summer.
“But that is no reflection on the quality we possess in certain areas – we just didn’t have the experience in some of the games – we only lost one more game than Sutton who finished 12th and scored more goals than Hucknall who ended up in the top half.
“We know where we ended up wasn’t good enough, but there was a lot of emphasis on youth and now some of those players will be a year older and a year better for their experience in a strong, tough league.
“Our problems started when we had a long spell of draws – we were playing well in matches but coming off the pitch without the wins we deserved and that knocked the confidence.
“One thing is for certain, we will learn from this and come out fighting next year – we will be back to the determined Romulus of old.”
- + Ainsley: McAndrew was a model pro
- + Open day backing mental health charity
- + Midfielder reaches milestone century
- + Saturday's First Division South acti...
- + Saturday's First Division North acti...
- + Draw made for penultimate qualifying...
- + Sheehan steps down despite plea to stay
- + Saturday's Premier Division action r...
- + Cup goes on show at Kettering Road!
- + Hot-shot earns contract for flying s...
- + Saturday's Transfer List
- + Toon striker could make cup debut
- + View All News