Latics loan duo lift Chorley
Chorley's Garry Flitcroft has moved to combat a growing injury crisis by signing highly-rated Oldham Athletic duo David Mellor and Kirk Millar.
Both joined the Magpies on initial one-month loan deals on Monday and go straight into Flitcroft's squad for Tuesday night's Evo-Stik NPL Premier Division clash with AFC Fylde at Victory Park
The players have impressive pedigrees having already appeared in Oldham's first-team.
Mellor, a left-sided defender or midfielder, joined the Latics as a 16-year-old from Manchester United. After spending time in Oldham's youth team he made his competitive debut last season as a substitute in a League Cup match against Carlisle United.
He went on to score 16 minutes into his Football League debut against Scunthorpe and was reportedly the subject of a £300,000 bid from Fulham 12 months ago.
Millar, a 20-year-old winger or striker, is a product of Oldham’s Centre of Excellence and made his first team debut for the Latics aged 16. He’s made a total of 16 first team appearances to date and has also been capped at Under 21 level by Northern Ireland.
Flitcroft is grateful for Oldham's aid. "I'd like to thank Paul Dickov [Oldham's manager] for giving us permission to bring in David and Kirk," he said.
"Due to injuries and suspensions our squad is down to the bare bones at the moment so these two signings will give us a lift. Both lads have great quality and this is a good opportunity for them to show what they can do."
- + Coverage coup before cup clash even ...
- + Mintcakes part company with manager
- + League's fans going social media mad!
- + Tuesday's Premier Division action re...
- + Monday's Premier Division action review
- + Striking recruits are double boost f...
- + Skipper on stand-by after England call!
- + FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round
- + Pioneer honoured with life membership
- + Hammering ends manager's solo stint
- + Enforced quest ends in success
- + Thieves strike during cup clash
- + View All News